A brand new HP® OfficeJet® Pro 6978 printer includes set-up HP 902 cartridges, which come in four different colors: black, cyan, magenta and yellow. The thing with setup HP cartridges is that it usually comes with less ink than a regular ink cartridge so you can expect to run out of ink fast. For this reason, if you think you’ll be printing a lot with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 from the get-go, it’s good to have a set of HP 902 ink cartridge replacements at the ready.
The nice thing about this printer is that you can replace each color as needed. If you are running low on black you can just replace the 902 black, if you’re running low on magenta, you can just replace the 902 magenta. In this article, we will be replacing the magenta cartridge.
For a quick demonstration of the installation process, see our video below. Or, continue reading for a step-by-step tutorial, including a great way to save on ink cartridge costs!
You can also use these instructions to replace cartridges in the HP OfficeJet 6954 and the OfficeJet Pro 6968.
Standard vs High Yield HP 902 Cartridges
The HP 902 comes in two cartridge sizes: standard and high yield (or XL size) which offers more ink.
- A standard black HP 902 cartridge prints up to 300 pages while a high yield black HP 902XL prints up to 825 pages.
- Each standard color HP 902 cartridge prints up to 315 pages while each high yield color HP 902XL prints up to 825 pages.
You can get big discounts when you buy high yield cartridges or ink bundle sets.
The HP 902 ink cartridge series works with four different printers, the OfficeJet 6954, OfficeJet Pro 6968, OfficeJet Pro 6978, OfficeJet Pro 6979.
How to Check Ink Levels on the OfficeJet 6978
If you are getting poor print results, the first thing you’ll want to do is check the ink levels on your printer’s display.
1. First you press the little gear symbol on the LCD screen.
2. Scroll down to cartridge information and a display will appear showing you your estimated cartridge ink levels.
If one of the cartridge levels is low, it’s time to replace!
How to Install or Replace an HP 902 Cartridge
Installing a new cartridge or replacing an old cartridge in the HP OfficeJet 6978 printer is easy.
1. The first thing you will want to do is lift up the entire scanner unit –
– and wait for the carriage to center.
2. You can take out the cartridge you need to replace by gently pushing on it.
It should pop up and easily remove with a little shaking motion.
3. If you have a brand new OEM HP 902 cartridge, go ahead and remove the plastic wrap the cartridge came in.
Pro Tip: I like to prep new cartridges over a trashcan because sometimes a little bit of ink can escape as you unwrap them.
4. The first thing you will want to remove is the orange clip on the bottom of the cartridge. This clip protects the cartridge while it’s in transit and the cartridge will not fit into the printer if you leave this on.
It should snap off with a simple twist.
5. The other thing you need to remove is the yellow tape on the top of the cartridge. Gently pull on the tape to remove, this will expose the vent hole on the cartridge so it can work properly in your machine.
Pro Tip: Avoid touching the gold contact chip when handling the new cartridge. This chip is very sensitive and touching it might cause a bad connection with printer and might cause an error message.
6. Next, install the magenta cartridge. The tab goes in the back. Make sure the cartridge is facing the right way when you are installing the cartridge properly.
The “M” on the cartridge should line up with the “M” in the machine.
7. Press straight down on the cartridge and it should click into place.
8. Lower the scanner unit.
9. Your printer will display a “Genuine Cartridge Installed” message if you used an OEM HP 902 cartridge.
And we are all set, now we are ready to start printing!
How to Save on Printing Costs
If you are looking to save money on ink, consider purchasing aftermarket (or third-party) high yield HP 902XL cartridges by LD Products. LD brand aftermarket 902 cartridges are proven to deliver the same results as an original HP cartridge for a fraction of the cost. They are filled to the same capacity as the HP brand and are backed by an industry best lifetime guarantee. The LD aftermarket black 902XL cartridge is offered at $19.99* and each aftermarket cyan, magenta, and yellow 902XL cartridge is priced at $10.99 apiece. If you want to save you even more, LD Products also carries a bundle set of 4 HP 902 aftermarket cartridges for $49.96 and a 9 pack for $119.97!
*Savings based on price comparison between remanufactured/compatible cartridge prices and printer brand (OEM) cartridge prices effective as of May 3, 2021 on www.LDProducts.com. OEM names are registered trademarks of their respective owners and are not affiliated with, and do not endorse LD Products.