Brother’s TN-730 toner cartridge is a great monochrome printing solution for home offices and small businesses. In this guide, we break down the cartridge specs, show you how to check the toner levels on your machine, and most importantly, walk you through the installation process.
Check out our quick Brother® TN-730 cartridge installation video directly below. Or, continue reading to learn more about the TN-730 cartridge series and it’s compatible printers!
The Brother TN-730 is a standard yield cartridge and prints approximately 1,200 pages. The TN-760 cartridge is the high yield version of the TN-730, printing 3,000 pages and offering a better overall value if you print frequently. Both cartridge types are suitable for any of the printers we list below on our compatible printers list. They are the exact same size and the installation process is identical, the only difference between the two is the amount of toner that is included inside each cartridge. Another important printer part to note here is the DR-730 drum unit. The toner cartridge and drum unit work together to produce a print and both need to be installed in your printer in order for it to work. The drum unit does not need to be replaced as often as the toner cartridge. Good for approximately 12,000 prints, you generally need to replace the drum after the use of 3-4 toner cartridges, but your printer will let you know when it’s time to replace with a message on the display screen.
TN-730 Standard Yield Toner
Page Yield: 1,200 Pages
TN-760 High Yield Toner
Page Yield: 3,000 Pages
DR-730 Drum Unit
Page Yield: 12,000 Pages
Compatible Brother Laser Printers
Ways to Save on TN-730 / TN-760 Toner Cartridges
If you are looking to save on printing costs, consider purchasing the LD brand compatible versions of the TN-730, TN-760– and DR-730. A great, low cost alternative to the original Brother brand, they offer the same number of prints for a fraction of the cost. Check out our compatible installation video below!
How to Check the Toner Cartridge Levels
The following steps for checking your toner cartridge levels are specific to the Brother HL-L2350DW laser printer. These steps may be different if you own another Brother laser printer, so be sure to consult your printer manual before proceeding.
- Select the minus button on your printer to scroll through the printer menu.
- Scroll down to “Machine Info” and press “OK”
- Scroll three more times to “Parts Life” and press “OK”
- “Toner Life” will pop up on the screen, press “OK” again
- The toner levels will display on the screen. If the bar is blank, it means the toner levels are completely depleted and it’s time to replace your cartridge. If the bar is black, you can keep printing with your cartridge.
Installing the Brother TN-730 Toner Cartridge
If you didn’t catch our installation video at the top of the page, here are the installation steps again, for easy reference.
- Open up the cartridge door on the front of the printer.
- Remove the toner and drum unit from the printer. These two parts will come out connected together as one piece.
- Place the toner/drum unit on a flat surface.
- To remove the toner from the drum unit, pull down on the small green tab on the left side of the drum.
- The toner will release and you can gently pull it away from the drum.
- Set the drum aside. You will need it to install the new toner cartridge.
- Unpack your new toner. Be sure to remove the orange protective clip from the cartridge before installation.
- Gently rock the cartridge back and forth over a trash can a few times to prep the toner.
- Grab your drum unit again, gently pull back on the green tab and slide the new toner into the drum unit.
- Slide both parts back into the printer, close up the front cover and you’re ready to start printing!
We hope you’ve found this installation guide useful! If you have any questions about installing Brother TN730 toner cartridges, leave us a note in the comments. Good luck!